We have long waited to feature what we think is the best pedal fishing kayak out there. Well, it looks like we’ve finally found a worthy contender for this title!
Pedal kayaks are relatively niche products, but they can do wonders if you are specifically looking to free your hands from paddles while on the water. With that, if you have been thinking about giving pedal kayaks a shot, Pescador Pilot 12 may be a good place to start!
Why Get A Pedal Drive Fishing Kayak?
Pedal fishing kayaks attract many kayakers. Why? We think there are two big reasons – versatility, as well as convenience & easiness of use.
Pedal-drive fishing kayaks are best for their intended purpose – angling – but they can be used by travelers, sports anglers, and a more general category of buyers who just want to be able to kayak hands-free. Thanks to their maneuverability and speed, pedal kayaks can meet an exceptionally wide array of kayaking needs.
Convenience & easiness of use
Pedal kayaks are super-convenient since they allow anglers to focus on what matters – fishing. You may pedal AND fish at the same time, which isn’t something you easily can do with a traditional paddle kayak. Perhaps not many anglers need to simultaneously fight fish and pedal, but still, the capability is there.
Pedal-drive kayaks are remarkably easy to operate as well, which could be a particularly big benefit for newbie kayakers. You should learn to paddle anyway so that you can operate your kayak in case the pedals decide to die on you, but the convenience and practicality of pedal operations are undeniable.
Perception Pescador Pilot 12 specs at a glance:
- Length – 12’5”.
- Width – 33.75”.
- Deck height – 16”.
- Weight – 85 pounds.
- Max capacity – 475 pounds.
Perception Pescador Pilot 12 is quite an expensive piece of kayaking technology, but it’s one of the best options out there if you want to travel on the water hands-free.
To give you a better idea of what Pescador Pilot 12 has to offer, here are its key features at a glance:
- Pedal drive. The pedal drive in Pescador Pilot 12 quickly lifts and stows in the hull, and it may also be removed for repairs and maintenance.
- Four fishing rod holders. Situated behind the seat, the rod holders allow you to keep several fishing rods close by.
- Storage wells with bungee cords, plus storage for small items. Pescador Pilot 12 has two storage wells – one in the front and the other in the rear. The front well is shallower and features a mesh cover to secure your items. The rear well is large, deep, and has a bungee cord. There’s also small-item storage space to the right-hand side of the seat, as well as drink holders.
- Attachment points for gear and accessories. Pescador Pilot has an attachment point for the Power-Pole anchoring system at the rear and gear tracks at the front.
- Comfortable seat. The stock seat on Pescador Pilot 12 boasts an adjustable design and a breathable mesh back. The seat is removable – so that you can clean or replace it.
- Durable and safe hull. Pescador Pilot 12 features a dense polyethylene hull that is advertised to be resistant to impact, abrasion, and UV. Colors on the hull are wear-proof as well. The construction of the hull is one-piece, so Pescador Pilot 12 should not leak ever.
Pescador recommends this kayak for lakes and ponds, slow-moving rivers, streams, and calm coastal waters.
One thing we would really like Pescador Pilot 12 to have is more storage space for small items – like on Perception Crank 10. Crank 10 has two storage trays for small items, which could make it more convenient for fishing. We also like the rudder on Crank 10 that can be adjusted with the one-handed controls placed to the left-hand side of the kayaker.
However, since it’s not a fishing kayak, Crank 10 lacks some useful features like fishing rod holders.
Another major feature that is absent from Pescador Pilot 12 is a dry, watertight storage compartment. The two wells it has are super-roomy, but they won’t protect water-sensitive items from humidity.
For a more in-depth look into Perception Pescador Pilot 12, watch these video reviews:
Perception Pescador Pilot 12 isn’t the only pedal-drive fishing kayak out there, but it’s one of the best. Pescador Pilot 12 should be a good start for most buyers.
Still, you should research all your options. If you have a specific need that Pescador Pilot 12 doesn’t meet, you may have to look for another kayak for your fishing trips.