The kayak is the perfect for individual fishing, walking or traveling. Today we will talk about fishing kayaks.
Fishing kayaks are characterized by high maneuverability, shallow landing and good sustainability. These qualities of fishing kayaks are very useful, both on lakes overgrown with aquatic plants (algae), and on narrow rivers with natural rapids.
Ideal conditions for fishing are a deep, calm lake or a calm river with a slight current to make it easier to moor to the banks.
Technical characteristics of fishing kayaks to look out for?
Dimensions of the boat
Kayak speed, stability and maneuverability depend on the size of the boat. In small water areas (rivers, canals, small lakes), a wide and short kayak with a length of 3 – 3.7 m will be the best option.
On a large and open water space, give preference to a kayak with a length of 4m or more. When choosing the width of the kayak, the first thing to consider is the rider’s physique. It should be noted that a fishing kayak must be stable both in a sitting position and in a standing position.
What else to look for when purchasing a fishing kayak?
- Type of construction and material.
- Features of transportation and storage.
- The presence and size of special compartments for tackle and things.
- Convenience of a seat for a fisherman, the presence of footrests.
- Special places for holders of spinning rods and rods.
- Paddle holders.
- Other amenities (belts, fasteners, cup holders).
- Presence or ability to install a pedal drive.
Important design features of a fishing kayak
Kayak bottom geometry
If you look at the kayak from the front, the bottom shape can be sharp or round. A sharp cone will provide good travel speed, but stability will suffer, and an unstable kayak is not very suitable for active fishing.
It should be noted that most fishing kayaks have a rounded hull design, which is the best option for fishing.
Kayak bottom deflection line
The sag line of the bottom of the kayak is visible if you look at the kayak from the side. The more the bottom bend, the more agility, but less stability. A large bend is a characteristic feature of models for active (sports) recreation, which is rarely found in fishing kayaks. A straight line of deflection indicates a flat bottom of the boat, and a flat bottom the kayak indicates stability of the structure, which is very important when fishing.
Comfortable platform for feet and footrests
A platform for feet and footrests are a must have in all fishing kayaks. The foot area in general provides comfort while fishing, and the comfort during fishing affects the overall performance of the enterprise. The presence of stops contributes to the correct distribution of weight both during fishing and during active rowing.
In conclusion, let me introduce you two types of kayaks that fit the description above, and which, in our opinion, are ideal for fishing enthusiasts, in design, convenience and price.
Lifetime Tamarack 100 10′ Angler Kayak Review! WALMART Kayak! (BEST CHEAP KAYAK EVER!)
Intex Excursion Pro Fishing Kayak is designed for lakes and slow rivers. The streamlined hull contributes to easy glide through the water, and the inflatable floor provides additional buoyancy and safety. The Intex Excursion Pro inflatable boat is made of durable “Super Tough” vinyl.
The kayak withstands aggressive environments and light damage and scratches, it is very compact when deflated and fits freely in the trunk of a car, making it easy to transport. The bright orange color of the boat with oars will be clearly visible both on the water and on the shore.
Intex Excursion Pro Fishing Kayak Specifications
- Material: 3-layer high-strength vinyl, 0.75mm thickness.
- Number of air chambers: 2.
- Weight: 21.3 kg.
- Maximum load – 180 kg.
Distinctive features of Intex Excursion Pro Fishing Kayak:
- Consists of 2 air chambers with valves for quick inflation and deflation.
- At both ends of the boat there are 2 handles and 2 cables, with the help of which it is convenient to move the kayak and drag it onto land.
- Inflatable seat cushions and floor footrests allow you to sit in the kayak with particular comfort.
- Two built-in rod holders;
- Two specially designed detachable keels for optimal maneuverability in deep and shallow waters.
- The bow and stern have storage space and a stainless steel D-ring rod for securing dry bags and gear.